What we do
INCIRCLE builds up on previous projects (BLUE ISLANDS, EMBLEMATIC, CASTWATER, MITOMED, ALTERECO, LOCATIONS, AcT4LITTER), capitalizing knowledge and available tools to test a new methodology that will apply the principles of circular economy to the tourism sector, with a focus on the needs of islands and low density areas.
INCIRCLE tailored policies will address mobility, energy efficiency, use of limited resources as water and waste production, while enhancing community prosperity and quality of life.
Durable and easily adaptable outputs are envisaged to provide MED decision makers with concrete tools and testing opportunities to improve their capacity in terms of assessing and planning sustainability in territories where resources are already scarce, to disclose new funding and concrete replication opportunities, establishing a critical mass for a MED sustainable and circular growth.
Capitalization activities will replicate activities in further territories and mainstream results in regional, national and European policies.
- INCIRCLE knowledge platform: A web platform, freely accessible (even beyond the project’s end) to policy makers and tourist stakeholders interested in getting preliminary feedback about the level of sustainability of their policies including recommendations and guidance for improvement.
- INCIRCLE set of circular tourism indicators: A set of indicators leading to the assessment of tourism circularity in 16 tourist destinations (5 local, 5 regional, 6 new MED regions). The indicators will be available in the INCIRCLE platform to further support policy makers and stakeholders in better managing and monitoring their sustainability practices and policies in a CE perspective.
- INCIRCLE demonstrators: 5 partner local territories (Palma, Himara, Gozo, Larnaca, Rethymno) acting as Pilot demonstrators by testing existing CE solutions (regarding energy efficiency and RES, sustainable mobility, water and waste treatment) and by monitoring results of the solutions.
- INCIRCLE Regional/ National Strategies: 5 partner regions developing strategies regarding the transition towards a more Circular regional tourism.
- INCIRCLE replicators: 6 new MED regional territories re-testing the INCIRCLE methodological approach and developing their own circular tourism strategies.
...outputs in numbers
Set of Indicators
Palma >> In the pilot local territory of Palma, one measure focused on waste prevention will be tested. Local efforts will be invested in the development of a zero food waste strategy: using local ecological products, distributing the usable food waste among the vulnerable population and compost production from the non-usable fraction.
Himara >> In the pilot local territory of Himara, one measure focused on sustainable tourism mobility will be tested. Local efforts will be invested in supporting alternative mobility patterns such as cycling. A network of bicycle lanes and bike stations connecting different beaches will be created.
Gozo >> In the pilot local territory of Gozo, one measure focused on water management will be tested. Local efforts will be invested in gathering rainwater runoff and its reuse to dewater the soft landscaping, public gardens and farmers' fields.
Larnaca >> In the pilot local territory of Larnaca, one measure focused on sustainable tourism mobility will be tested. Local efforts will be invested in improving the connection between attractions to make them more easily accessible by bicycle.
Rethymno >> In the pilot local territory of Larnaca, one measure focused on green urban mobility will be tested. Local efforts will be invested in the reduction of air/ noise pollution, by means of supporting alternative and electric mobility, powered by Renewable Energy Source (RES), in port and tourist area.